Painted funeral chambers from Constanța (Roman Archaeological Objective)
2004 – 20??
- INOE – Coordinator
- Museum of History and Archaeology of Constanta
- Art History Institute “G. Oprescu” – Romanian Academy
- GRAFIX SRL
25th of February 1988 – date of discovery, within the area of antique necropolis of Tomis. It is dated – most probably – between the Roman period and Roman – Byzantine one (IVth century AD)
- Microclimate monitoring and stabilization
- Thermal control of the walls for infiltration ways and other stress factors determination
- Multispectral investigations of the painting for early hidden degradation
- Protective construction design
- Modern presentation of the historical objective in the special allocated space of the museum
The technique of execution of the wall paintings
- a “fresco” painting done on a freshly white – washed wall.
general aspect of the surface is porous and highly irregular.
used colors: mineral blue pigment, red pigment, ochre-red, ochre-yellow, white colour from the line, black colour – coal, green colour, green ground.
The conservation state
- humidity caused by infiltration, by capillarity, frequent flooding, humidity variations and temperature oscillations
degradation of the wall – detachments, friability of the support – layer, deep – set and shallow gaps, efflorescences, powdery paint layer, clay sediments.